CASTLETON, Vt. - The Keene State College women's lacrosse team used a balanced scoring attack to glide past Castleton 20-9 at Dave Wolk Stadium on Wednesday evening.
- Keene State: 5-6 (2-2 LEC)
- Castleton: 5-9 (1-4 LEC)
How It Happened
Castleton struck first just over two minutes in, when Emma Best scored her 34th goal of the season. The Owls responded immediately, going on a three goal run, as Emily Parker rang off two straight, and Chelsea Lewis scored off a Marina Pappalardo feed. At the 17:57 mark, the Spartans came back with two of their own, as Morgan Derosia and Megan Krumm scored to tie the game at three all. KSC's balanced offensive attack then took off with four straight, as Parker scored her hat-trick off an Ali Daisy feed. Daisy then followed with back to back goals, coming off passes from Pappalardo and Brigid Casey. Pappalardo then got on the board with an unassisted goal to make it a 7-3 game. Erin Shuttle broke up the KSC run, as she scored her 31st of the season, before Emily Parker continued her career game with two more goals. The first coming off yet another Pappalardo assist, and the second unassisted, giving her five in the first half alone. Megan Gorham then jumped in on the scoring, with a goal and Chelsea Lewis scored her second off Pappalardo's fourth assist. Krumm answered for the hosts with a man-up goal to cut the lead to 11-5, before KSC added three more in just over 80 seconds to end the half. Tess Masci scored her 19th of the season, Brigid Casey grabbed a goal off another Pappalardo helper, and Pappalardo scored to give the Owls a 14-5 lead at the break.
The second half was back and forth, as Erin McKenna got the scoring started with a Castleton goal. Chelsea Lewis answered with her third of the game, before Kirsten Kruk and Best cut the lead to 15-8. Pappalardo then continued her dominant day with a goal and at the 17:21 mark, Erin Shuttle answered right back for the Spartans. Pappalardo then added her fourth, before Brigid Casey scored her 40th goal of the season. At the 8:37 mark, Pappalardo fired in another goal off a Daisy helper to put the Owls up 19-9. Erica Chareth put the exclamation point on the Owls performance with a goal off a free-position shot, for the 20-9 conference victory.
Inside the Crease
- Marina Pappalardo led KSC with a career high five goals and five assists. Emily Parker also scored a career high five goals, while Chelsea Lewis finished with a hat-trick.
- Brigid Casey had two goals and one assist and Ali Daisy added two goals with two helpers.
- Erin Shuttle, Megan Krumm and Emma Best all scored two goals for Castleton
- Joanna Steinhauer picked up the win in net with two saves. Anna O'Brien had five saves in the second half. Samantha Hebb had the loss with four saves, and Raven Payne made five saves in the second half.
- Pappalardo also led the Owls with four ground balls. KSC had 22 draw controls to the Spartans nine.
- Keene State outshot Castleton 38-20.
- Keene State hosts UMass Dartmouth on Saturday, April 20th at 12:00 p.m. for senior day.
- Castleton heads to Plattsburgh on Wednesday, April 24th for a 4:00 p.m. start.