KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State College women's lacrosse team opened up LEC play with a huge 20-4 win over RIC on Saturday afternoon at the Owl Athletic Complex. The Owls saw goals from eight different players in the victory.
- Keene State: 3-3 (1-0 LEC)
- RIC: 2-3 (0-1 LEC)
How It Happened
Erica Chareth got the scoring started early for the Owls with a free-position goal just a minute in. Chelsea Lewis followed suit with her first of the day off a feed from Ali Daisy before Cadence Loos scored her first career goal just 15 seconds later. RIC broke up the Owls run, when Giana Ritchie scored a fantastic solo effort goal to cut the lead to 3-1. Olivia Carpenito then followed with a goal of her own off a pass from Morgan Pero to bring the visitors within one. Lewis continued her dominance, with her second of the game at the 21:38 mark off a fantastic feed from Tess Masci. Brigid Casey then got on the board with two straight goals coming off passes from Chareth and Masci to restore KSC's lead to 6-2. Pero then brought the Anchorwomen back with a solo effort, before the Owls finished the first half in dominant fashion. Emily Parker and Casey scored unassisted goals, followed by Chelsea Lewis' first half hat-trick off another Masci pass. With one minute to go, Casey marked her fourth goal off a Cadence Loos feed to give the hosts a 10-3 advantage at the break.
Haley Terva took over in net for the second half, and the Owls didn't skip a beat offensively. Brigid Casey started the second with a free-position goal, her fifth of the contest. Chelsea Lewis then scored unassisted for her fourth of the game. Megan Gorham joined the offensive display when she found the net off a Parker pass, before Lewis tallied her fifth coming from an Emma Goodridge feed. Olivia Carpenito beat Terva with a goal for RIC before the Owls finished on a 6-0 run. With 17:17 remaining, Chareth scored a free-position goal and Goodridge followed with her first career goal off a Chareth pass. Casey then scored her sixth goal of the game for the second consecutive contest, before Goodridge put another past the Anchorwomen netminder. Megan Gorham and freshman Christina Kahigian finished off the emphatic display for Keene State, as the Owls moved to 1-0 in LEC play with a 20-4 win.
Inside the Crease
- Brigid Casey led all scorers with six goals, while Chelsea Lewis added five of her own. Erica Chareth added two goals and two assists.
- Freshman Emma Goodridge scored her first two career goals along with a helper. Cadence Loos added a goal and two assists. Tess Masci led the Owls with three assists.
- RIC had goals from Morgan Pero (1) Olivia Carpenito (2) and Giana Ritchie (1).
- Joanna Steinhauer picked up the win in net with one save. Haley Terva picked up four saves as well. Julia Eaton had 17 saves in the loss.
- Keene State scooped up 17 ground balls to RIC's 12. The Owls had 17 draw controls to the Anchorwomen's eight.
- KSC had 43 shots to RIC's 11.
- Keene State continues their five game homestand as New England College visits on Tuesday, April 2 for a 6:00 p.m. start.
- Rhode Island College hosts Nichols on Tuesday, April 2 at 6:30 p.m.