DARTMOUTH, Mass.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team was led by Vance Bates, who was able to find the back of the back of the net in the overtime frame, giving the Owls their second consecutive LEC victory.
- Keene State: 10-5-0 (4-2 LEC)
- UMass Dartmouth: 7-5-1 (2-3-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
The Owls held much of the attack in the first half as they were able to outshoot the Corsairs 9-4 in total. Both goalkeepers were tested in the first half, but no goals went by either Anthony Pasciuto for the Owls or Jacob Castro for the Corsairs. Pasciuto came away with three saves in the first half and Castro had to corral four shots on goal by the Owls.
The second half was much like the first half, with the Owls dominating the possession and able to triple the shots taken in the second half over the Corsairs. Keene State came up with another nine shots in the second half, but Jacob Castro was once again stellar, coming away with another four saves in the half. Anthony Pasciuto tracked down the only two shots on goal taken by UMass Dartmouth in the second half. The teams would need an extra frame to settle the zeros on the scoreboard after 90 minutes of play.
Keene State would have the early chance in the first overtime frame and would capitalize. The Owls would take the attack into the direction of Jacob Castro and the ball would be played over the end, last touched by UMass Dartmouth resulting in a corner kick for the Owls. Emmanuel Smith would take the corner kick. Smith sent a corner inside the box which found the foot of Vance Bates who put the ball into the back of the net from ten yards out, giving the Owls the 1-0 victory. KSC picks up their second consecutive LEC victory, after dropping their previous two LEC games.
Inside the Box:
- Vance Bates picked up the game winning goal for the Owls in the 1-0 victory. It Is Bates's 4th goal of the season.
- Anthony Pasciuto picks up the five save shutout after not allowing a goal past him for UMass Dartmouth. It is Pasciuto's first shutout of the season.
- GK for UMass Dartmouth Jacob Castro came away with eight saves on the afternoon after shutting down the Owls offense for the first 90 minutes of play before surrendering the only goal of the game to Vance Bates.
- KSC took the only corner of the OT session, totaling five on the afternoon. UMass Dartmouth came away with just a solo corner kick in the first half.
- The Owls will be back home on Wednesday October 23 for a non-conference matchup with the Trailblazers of MCLA. Kick-off is set for 7:00 pm.
- The Corsairs will head to Bridgewater State to take on the Bears on Tuesday, October 22 for a 3:30 pm start time.