Men's Soccer Loses Heartbreaker to Western Connecticut 3-2

Men's Soccer Loses Heartbreaker to Western Connecticut 3-2

DANBURY, Conn.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team fought hard in their first conference road game, but came up short in a 3-2 loss at Western Connecticut State University on Saturday.


  • Keene State: 8-3-0 (2-1-0 LEC)
  • Western Connecticut: 9-3-0 (2-1-0 LEC)

How it Happened:

It was Henry Cummings who opened the scoring for the Owls for the second consecutive game. Cummings was found by a creative pass by Emmanuel Smith who saw Cummings open and Cummings gave the Owls the 1-0 lead. Shortly after the goal scored by the Owls, tempers would flare and two players, one from Western Connecticut State, and one from Keene State would be issued red cards. Western Connecticut would play down one man for the remaining 63 minutes of the contest, and Keene State, who picked up the red card just three minutes after Western Connecticut, would be down a man for the remainder of the game for the final 60 minutes of the contest. Keene State's starter netminder Anthony Pasciuto came up with two saves in the first half, matching the starting keeper for the Colonials Daniel Szabo with that number.

In the second half the scoring would come early, and often as four total goals were tallied in the half. Just 37 seconds into the second half, GK Anthony Pasciuto came out to smother the ball but the ball came loose allowing Franz Muhaj to find Afa Reyes to score for the Colonials. Western Connecticut would tie up the contest. Western Connecticut came away with their first lead of the day in the 69th minute when a penalty shot goal from Mickey Sciortino put the Colonials ahead by one. 

KSC would fight back just three minutes after the goal was scored by the Colonials as Vance Bates took a shot for the Owls and it redirected off of James McCully for the Owls picking up his 5th goal of the season, tying the game at two with just 18 minutes to go in the second half. Anthony Pasciuto would see 14 total shots from the Colonials in the second half. 

The game winner game off the foot of Afa Reyes, after the Owls misplayed the ball inside their own box, resulting in a 3-2 score. KSC would battle all the way down to the final buzzer but the Colonials would pick up a 3-2 victory over KSC.

Inside the Box:

  • Western Connecticut would dominate in shots in the second half, putting up 14 to the Owls six. Anthony Pasciuto came up with two saves in the first and four in the second half recording six total saves.
  • Both Western Connecticut and Keene State would play a man down for the majority of the game, after picking up one red card each in the first half.
  • The Colonials Afa Reyes picked up two second half goals marking seven goals on the season, including the game winner in the contest.
  • Keene State only took one corner kick in the 90 minutes of play. Western Connecticut put up seven.

Up Next:

  • Keene State will remain on the road and travel to RPI on Wednesday, October 9 for a 7:00 pm start time.
  • Western Connecticut will receive a full week off before returning to the field next Saturday, October 12 when they travel to Castleton University for a kick-off at 6:30 pm.