Men's Soccer Strikes Twice in First Half to Down Cougars 2-1

KEENE N.H.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team used their two goals in the first half to pave their way to victory in non-conference action from the newly renamed Dr. Ron Butcher Field Wednesday night against the Clark University Cougars.


  • Keene State: 7-1-0
  • Clark University: 6-2-0

How it Happened:

It was a game of inches in the first half, with little space to be had on the field. Early in the contest, the Owls got the game's first goal on a pass from LJ Luster to Connor Downey. Luster sent a through ball to the speedy Connor Downey who tracked the ball down and used some footwork to get past both his defender as well as the goalkeeper Melvin Vincent and ran the ball all the way into the open net for the Owls. KSC would take the 1-0 lead in the 6th minute of the contest.

Keene State's attack was electric in the first half as they were able to tally goal number two on the evening just nine minutes after their first goal. The Owls were able to take advantage of a corner kick when Emmanuel Smith sent the sailing ball into the box the initially found the head of Dale Dubinsky who was waiting for the ball at the back post. Dubinsky used his head to knock the ball towards the central part of the box where Isaiah Lovering was and Lovering headed the ball into the cage, giving the Owls the 2-0 lead. Lovering picks up his first goal of the season.

Clark would fight hard down the stretch in the first half putting up a total of seven shots in the first half, with three shots on target. Owls goaltender Anthony Pasciuto came away with two saves in the first half. Clark's Sean Munroe would pick up his team leading 7th goal of the season with just nine seconds to spare in the first half. Munroe took a loose ball into the box and took a spinning low shot that deflected off of Pasciuto, off the left post, and into the net. The Owls would lead the Cougars 2-1 after one half.

The Owls and Cougars would fight for every inch in the second half, with both teams getting quality chances at goal. The Cougars Charlie Lane would put up five shots in the contest, with one on goal. In the 75th minute Keene State's James McCully would be assessed his second yellow card of the contest, so the Owls would play a man down for the remainder of the game.

The Cougars would continue to fire shots on Anthony Pasciuto but Pasciuto was up to the task, making two additional saves in the second half preserving the win for the Owls. In total, Melvin Vincent would pick up nine saves in the loosing effort for the Cougars. KSC would eventually come out on top, defeating Clark 2-1.

Inside the Box:

  • The Owls played a man down for the final 15 minutes of the contest, as James McCully was assessed two yellow cards in the contest.
  • In total, there were seven cards (six yellow, one red) charged in the contest. Five cards were assessed to Keene State and two to Clark.
  • Connor Downey picked up his third goal of the season after going scoreless in his last three contests. 
  • Clark's Sean Munroe continues to find the back of the net, putting together another goal marking his total of seven on the season, leading his team and his conference with that total.
  • Keene State out shot Clark 15-7 in the first half, and 23-15 overall in the contest.

Up Next:

  • KSC will continue their three game homestand with a rare Sunday afternoon contest when they host the Bowdoin Polar Bears on September 29 at 1 pm.
  • Clark stays on the road and dives back into conference play with a game against Wheaton (Mass.) on Saturday September 28 at 2 pm.