KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State College men's lacrosse team won their second LEC game of the season, beating UMass-Dartmouth 19-10 at the Owl Athletic Complex on Saturday afternoon.
- Keene State: 3-5 (2-0 LEC)
- UMass-Dartmouth: 4-4 (1-1 LEC)
How It Happened
The Owls got off to a fast start at the Owl Athletic Complex on a sunny afternoon. Anthony Marcella started the scoring with an unassisted goal for the hosts, before Bobby Carey and Justin Norris quickly brought the lead to 3-0. The Corsairs fought back with two straight, as Donovan Prozinski and Mike Rizzo scored a minute apart. The Owls' offensive firepower took over at the end of the first quarter, as Joe Nutting found the net off a Marcella pass. Liam Flanagan then scored an unassisted shot from distance, and Nutting added another with 30 seconds left off a feed from Dave Wiedenfeld.
Bobby Carey continued his impressive display, scoring off a Connor Nolan pass before Prozinski brought the Corsairs back to within 7-3. Nolan then beat the UMD netminder with a shot before Anthony Marcella followed with a great run and finish of his own. Flanagan found the net for the second time in the half off a Justin Norris feed, before Charles Molloy IV broke off a 60 yard run, took a pass from his brother Shane Molloy and fired one home. The goal gave KSC an 11-3 lead heading into the half.
The Corsairs came out of the break firing, as Tim Jordan, Prozinski and Prozinski again cut the advantage to 11-6. However, the hosts answered with four unanswered goals of their own, as Connor Nolan scored on a man-up chance. Chris Morgan then gathered a loose ball at midfield and finished his own chance with a goal, before Dave Wiedenfeld tallied his first of the afternoon off a Steve Hamel pass. John Morgan finished off the quarter with a beautiful behind-the-back finish to give the Owls a commanding 15-6 advantage.
The fourth quarter was fairly even for both sides, as Jordan Caito scored for Keene State on a man-up opportunity first. Ben Bunnell then scored his first goal of the season with 8:59 to go. Jeremy Jackson cut into the lead for the Corsairs with a good finish, before Nutting added his third of the day off another Marcella helper. Tim Jordan and Donovan Prozinski gave the visitors two straight before Bunnell scored his second of the game. The last goal of the contest came from Kevin Swenson with 1:02 to go, but it wasn't enough, as Keene State improved to 2-0 in conference play.
Inside the Crease
- Anthony Marcella led the Owls with two goals and four assists. Joe Nutting added a hat-trick and two helpers.
- Liam Flanagan, Bobby Carey and Ben Bunnell also finished with two goals each.
- Donovan Prozinski led all scorers with five goals and one assist for the Corsairs.
- Chase Chamberlin picked up the win in net with four saves. JJ Tinney played the second half and recorded seven saves. Ted McCaffrey had 16 saves in the loss.
- KSC had 20 faceoff wins to UMD's eight. The Owls picked up 55 ground balls to the Corsairs 27. Molloy IV and Michael Schenk led KSC with seven ground balls each.
- Steve Hamel led KSC with three caused turnovers.
- The Owls outshot the Corsairs 52-40.
- Keene State heads back to the Owl Athletic Complex to take on Eastern Connecticut State University on Wednesday, April 3 at 5:00 p.m.
- UMass-Dartmouth heads to Coast Guard Academy on April 3 for a 7:00 p.m. start.