CASTLETON, Vt. - Lilly Shlimon had 13 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, but the Keene State College women's basketball team lost 50-38 to Castleton University Saturday afternoon at Glenbrook Gymnasium in a Little East Conference contest.
- Keene State: 3-18, 1-12 LEC
- Castleton: 14-8, 6-7 LEC
How It Happened
Shlimon made 6-of-10 from the field while adding two assists and two blocks to her stat line. Abby Thut chipped in 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting to go along with one rebound and one steal, while Jenny Freedman had six points and three assists. Brooke Raiche scored 14 points for Castleton.
It was a close and low-scoring first half, as the teams combined for just 38 points. Shlimon's layup a little less than four minutes in had the Owls up 5-3, but the Spartans scored the next five to lead by three at the 3:33 mark. KSC held them off the board for the rest of the period while scoring the next six points, capped by Freedman's two free throws, for an 11-8 lead after one. The Spartans edged ahead by a point two different times in the opening minutes of the second, but Keene State got a trey from Emily McPadden and another Shlimon bucket for an 18-14 lead at the 5:05 mark. Only six points were scored over the remainder of the period, and the Owls took a 20-18 lead into the break.
The home team took control with a decisive 21-8 third quarter, which included scoring the first six points for a 24-20 advantage. KSC was still within 29-26 with 5:15 on the clock after Thut made a pair of jumpers, but Castleton closed the quarter on a 10-2 surge to gain separation and lead 39-28. The run included the final seven points and a Raiche banked-in three at the shot clock buzzer. The hosts outshot the Owls 55% (6-of-11) to 43% (3-of-7) in the period turn the tables. The Spartans extended their lead to a game-high 15 within the first three minutes of the fourth, but KSC chipped away, as Shlimon and Thut canned jumpers to make it 43-32 with 6:27 to go. A three-point play from Freedman and a long distance make from Shlimon had the Owls within seven (45-38) with just over three minutes remaining, but they could not get any closer.
Inside the Paint
- Shlimon's rebounding total surpassed the previous game-high of 14 she set in her collegiate debut at Westfield State University in November 2017.
- Shlimon has also shot at least 60% from the field in four of the last six contests. She has scored in double-figures seven times since January 5.
- The Owls shot 30% (13-of-44) overall in the contest and Castleton 38% (18-of-47). The Spartans outrebounded KSC 33-28.
- Keene State returns home to host Western Connecticut State University on Wednesday, February 6. Tip-off is at 5:30 pm.
- Castleton has a week off before visiting the University of Southern Maine on Saturday, February 9 at 1:00 pm.