CASTLETON, Vt. - The Keene State College men's lacrosse team won their fourth straight, as they took down the Castleton Spartans 17-6 at Dave Wolk Stadium Tuesday night.
- Keene State: 6-5 (5-0 LEC)
- Castleton: 4-7 (2-3 LEC)
How It Happened
It took nearly nine minutes for the game to see its' first score, before Shane Molloy got the Owls going with a tally off a pass from Anthony Marcella. KSC then poured in four more goals in the final six minutes of the first quarter, when Bobby Carey and Dave Wiedenfeld fired in unassisted goals. Joe Nutting then got on the board with a finish off a Wiedenfeld helper. Connor Nolan then became the fifth Owl to score a goal, when he made it 5-0 off a feed from Shane Molloy.
KSC kept the offense flowing, when Joe Nutting and Jordan Caito started the second quarter with two quick goals. At the 5:11 mark, Castleton finally broke their scoreless drought when Jason Sedell scored on a man-up chance. Nutting then scored his hat-trick unassisted, before Shane Molloy added his second goal off a Nolan feed. With 2:15 to go, Liam Flanagan made the score 10-1 when he fired one in off a John Morgan pass.
The third quarter started with a Spartans goal, as Kyle Lutinski gave the hosts their second of the day. Nolan then added his second goal off another Molloy assist, before Travis Hamilton scored his first goal of the season to give KSC a 12-2 advantage. Anthony Marcella then kept the onslought going with a solo goal, before Cameron Russell gave the hosts a goal on a man-up chance. Nutting then fired one past the netminder for his fourth goal of the game, and Wiedenfeld added another with two seconds remaining in the quarter to give Keene State a 14-3 edge.
Caslteton started the fourth quarter with two straight goals, as Adnane Adossama and Jason Sedell scored. At the 6:00 mark, Nutting scored his fifth of the game off an Alec Dawson feed, before Chase Tanner fired one home with the help of a Bobby Carey pass. The Spartans scored the last goal of the contest, when Russell beat the netminder, but ultimately KSC came out on top 17-6.
Inside the Crease
- Joe Nutting led all scorers with five goals, while Shane Molloy finished with two goals and two assists. Nolan and Wiedenfeld both finished with two goals and one helper.
- Cameron Russell and Jason Sedell scored two goals each for Castleton.
- Chase Chamberlin picked up the win in net for KSC with five saves, Brandon Myron had 13 saves in the loss.
- Matthew Lemke picked up seven ground balls, while Charles Molloy IV and Haeden Finerty had four each for the Owls.
- Steve Hamel, Bobby Carey and Finerty each had two caused turnovers.
- Keene State has a week off, before they travel to Plymouth State on Wednesday, April 17 for a 4:00 p.m. start.
- Castleton hosts West Conn. on Saturday, April 13 at 6:00 p.m.